I love a few things about Wednesdays. The week is more than half-way over – I count the school week based on number of days that we have to wake up early. Once we finish the wake-up process on Wednesdays, then the rough part of the school week is officially more than half-way over.
I also love the trip to Sprouts that I usually take with my girl. Seeing all of the fresh, seasonal produce puts a smile on my face. And, this Wednesday I was especially happy to see the apples and pumpkins everywhere, which can only mean one thing. Fall is officially here. Really, it is. Based on the temperatures, it has not arrived in Texas quite yet. But, we can still enjoy all of the flavors and pictures, while looking forward to cooler weather and Fall celebrations.
And, another thing that I love about Wednesday is that we have Asian food. We all love it. We often have some form of stir-fry. But, today I decided to do lettuce wraps – beef and chicken. They are both so good that I could not choose just one of them. And, in case you are wondering….yes, I do have problems when it comes to favorites. Gabriel is always asking, “What is your favorite movie? What is your favorite song? What is your favorite (fill in the blank)?” I can seldom definitively answer a favorite thing because, well, there are great things about so many movies, songs, etc. And, I can guarantee you that there are great things about both of these lettuce wraps, too.
1 pound ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Green onions, finely chopped (about 2-3 tablespoons)
Bibb lettuce leaves
- Brown ground beef, draining grease as you go.
- When it is still slightly pink, add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, water chestnuts, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until no longer pink. While still cooking on medium heat, add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle on the sesame oil, sprinkle on the green onions, and stir to combine.
- Add the beef mixture to the lettuce leaves, and wrap up like a taco
2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup wing sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch
Bibb lettuce leaves
- Cook chicken over medium heat until cooked through.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup, wing sauce, and corn starch.
- Add the mixture to the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes. Once the sauce starts to thicken, remove it from the heat.
- Add the chicken mixture to the lettuce, and wrap like a taco.
I am sharing these recipes on http://thirtyhandmadedays.com.