This was the scene outside bright and early this morning.
The boys do not really like early mornings anymore than I do. But, they are young and full of energy, so they wake up, truly wake up, much quicker than I do. Watching this scene unfold helped me really open my eyes this morning, to appreciate the beauty that was unfolding in front of me.
Boys who were happy to ride scooters in the cool of the morning air.
A big brother who is always happy to help his younger brother.
Two brothers who always light up at the sight of each other.
Summer, on the other hand, well, she just likes to cuddle in bed for at least 30 minutes. And, since it is her last year at home until Kindergarten, I will just soak up the lazy mornings with her, knowing that this year will pass in the blink of an eye.
As I have mentioned before, I try to stick to theme menu days – pasta on Mondays, tacos on Tuesdays, etc. I do not make the exact pasta or tacos each week. I just give myself a jumping off point by knowing what type of recipe I want to make for that day. It makes it easier when I am planning our weekly menu, and it still gives flexibility to try new things.
Monday is pasta day. We often do spaghetti, pasta with cream sauce, or plain noodles with olive oil and vegetables. I experimented with this pasta last week. I had vegetables, pasta, and the makings of a cream sauce. So, I decided to put it all together and see how it turned out.
The result. It was fantastic. Everyone enjoyed it…well, Summer ate plain noodles. But, as I have said before, she has not developed as much of an appreciation for food as the rest of us. She will get there in her own time.
Vegetable Pasta with Goat Cheese Cream Sauce
Chicken and Vegetables
2 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
1/4 cup onion, sliced
1/4 cup carrots, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 cup broccoli
1 zucchini, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 glove garlic, minced
1 package gluten free pasta
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1-2 ounces of goat cheese
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon corn starch
Old Bay Seasoning
- Heat olive oil in stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, and then add the vegetables. Put the lid on and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the sliced chicken and remove from heat.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Mix together the almond milk, olive oil, and corn starch. Cooking over medium heat, add the cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted. Add about 1 tablespoon of the Old Bay Seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper, according to taste.
- Drain the pasta and rinse with hot water.
- Put the pasta into a big pasta dish. Add the cream sauce and vegetables. Stir until combined.