With the exception of taking Gabriel to the doctor for bronchitis, we had a quiet, peaceful New Year’s Eve at home.
We had delicious snacks,
and celebrated the end of one year and the beginning of a new one.
I made this delicious taco dip, which we all love. It is so easy to throw together, and it can easily be adapted, according to what toppings each family member desires.
1 pound ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning
2/3 cups of water
1 can refried beans (we usually use black refried beans)
16 ounces of sour cream
1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add ground beef to a pan and cook over medium high heat.
- Drain the grease and add the taco seasoning and water. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- In an 8x8 glass pan, spread the refried beans and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Spread the sour cream onto the beans.
- Add the taco meat to the top of the sour cream.
- Sprinkle the cheese onto the taco meat.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- You can stop there, or you can continue to add your choice of toppings - salsa, avocado, jalapeno, onions, etc.
- Serve with your choice of chips.
We have had such a good winter break.
We spent time with Sean’s family and my family as we celebrated Christmas together.
We went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
We made s’mores.
We played games.
We started the process of re-decorating rooms.
We have simply enjoyed being together as a family.
We have really enjoyed cooking again. Sean made a delicious Bourbon Chicken. I have started taking quick pictures of food again because I realized that we often cannot remember the food that we liked, and, without documenting it, we often cannot find the recipes either. I am sure that I will get busy again, and food will not become as much of a priority. However, it is one of my goals to try to capture our family food life as often as possible because food has always been one of our family love languages, and that is important to me.
2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into bit-sized pieces
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup apple juice
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- Heat oil in a wok over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned.
- Remove the chicken (at this point, we set some aside for our picky eater).
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and then add it to the heated pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over steamed white rice and garnish with green onions.
Scout is such an amazing dog.
We are so happy that, after Dakota died, we were able to open our hearts again because our family really did need Scout.
She loves the kids so much. She wants to be wherever they are, and she will literally put up with just about anything from them.
She is so loyal.
She has such a gentle, sweet personality.
When she nurses on our blankets, it makes me smile every single time.
When she makes herself comfortable, it makes me happy because I know that she understands that this is her home, too.
She is a very important member of a our family.