Winter Days – Recipe: Green Chili Chicken and Rice Soup
Just when I was thinking that we were going to skip Winter and move right into Spring, we received some cooler weather.
I guess that it was fitting since we are technically on a Winter Break, but I do wish that it would have waited a few days so that we could have enjoyed more of the break by being outside.
Never one to let a little weather stop us from having fun, we have just spent more time indoors cuddled up watching movies. That is one of the things that we definitely all love to do.
Another great thing about colder days is that it is an opportunity to enjoy soup. I found this Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup recipe over at Picky Palate, and I knew that it would be perfect. If, by some chance, you have not visited Jenny’s blog, you really should. She always has wonderful, creative, delicious recipes, and she has a cookbook coming out in September, which is sure to be amazing.
Green Chili Chicken and Rice Soup
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, choppe
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
80 oz chicken broth (I used fresh broth and added in additional from a carton)
10 oz can rotel tomatoes, mild, blended
7 oz can diced green chilies
4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Kosher salt, pepper, and parsley, to taste
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
Fresh diced avocados, optional
Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Tortilla chips, optional
- Place chicken in crockpot. Fill with water. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Cook on high for 6 hours. Move the chicken to a cutting board. Strain the broth - it should yield about 8-10 cups.
- Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, blended Ro-tel, green chilies, shredded chicken, rice, lime juice and seasonings.
- Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season
- Ladle into soup bowls, and top with cilantro, cheese, avocados, and crushed tortilla chips.
I shared this recipe at 2 Maids, 33 Shades of Green, Blessed with Grace, Mandy’s Recipe Box, Permanent Posies, Not Just a Housewife, Naptime Creations, Chef in Training and Skip the Housework.
Tagged chicken, soup, winter. Bookmark the permalink.