Monday, Monday – Recipe: Spaghetti with Special Meatballs
While Friday is one of my favorite days of the week, Monday is one of my least favorite days. Sean goes back to work, the boys go back to school, and Summer and I are happy that we are home together but sad that three-fifths of what makes us whole is gone.
We had a great weekend, though, and I am glad that I had those fun memories to look back on today and smile. I flipped through that scrapbook in my brain quite a few times today, thinking of certain smiles, sounds of laughter, and moments that made me very joyful.
One of the things that helps me perk up on Monday is the thought of it being Pasta Day in our home. Some days I know exactly what I want to make, and other days, like today, allow me to get my creative cooking juices flowing as I look in the freezer, the refrigerator, and the pantry to decide what to put together. Once I did that, I started planning for dinner tonight, knowing that we would be complete as a family again….and already looking forward to Friday.
Of course, when I do things like that to try to speed up time, I realize that it also accelerates all of the moments that I do truly enjoy throughout the week. So, while I will probably not like Mondays anytime soon, I am trying to appreciate that even Monday holds some beauty in it, even if it is something as simple as Pasta Day.
Spaghetti with Special Meatballs
I kept the sauce, meatballs, and pasta separate because everyone likes their spaghetti a bit differently. So, I made a little spaghetti bar and allowed everyone to add what they wanted to their spaghetti.
3 gloves of garlic, minced
2 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1 pound of ground beef
2 ounces of soft goat cheese
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
Sausage link, diced (about 1 cup)
- Add olive oil and garlic to medium sauce pan, and saute over medium heat.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings - I use about 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, mix up the meatballs.
- Mix the ground beef, egg, goat cheese, and seasonings.
- Form the meat into balls, about the 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the meatballs and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, and allow to cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the sausage.
- Cook everything together for another 5-6 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with hot water.
This pasta magically turned Monday into unicorns and rainbows, after all.